Do Good to All People
(1) Remind God’s people to be subject to governing rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do all that is good, (2) to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.
(3) In the past we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived, and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures of this world. We lived in depravity and jealousy, being hated and hating one another. (4) But when the loving kindness of God our Savior appeared (incarnation), (5) he saved us, not because of the righteous works we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the cleansing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, (6) whom he poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior (7) so that, having been made right with God (declared righteous, justified) by his grace, we might become heirs receiving the hope of eternal life. (8) This a faithful and true saying. And Timothy, I want you to emphasize these things, so that those who have believed in God will be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and useful for everyone.
(9) But stay away from foolish controversies, genealogies, divisions, and arguments about the law of Moses, because these things are not helpful or useful to anyone. (10) Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing more to do with him. (11) You can be certain that these kind of people are perverted and sinful. They condemn themselves.
(12) When I send Artemas or Tychicus to you in Crete, do your best to come visit me at Nicopolis, because I plan to spend the winter there. (Nicopolis was the capital city of the Roman province of Epirus, located in the western part of modern Greece). (13) Do everything you can to help Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their journey and make sure that they have everything they need. (14) God’s people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, so that they can help those who have urgent needs and not live unproductive lives.
(15) Everyone with me in Rome sends you greetings. Greet those who love us in the faith. Grace be with you all!