The Seventh Scroll Seal Removed
(1) When the Lamb opened the seventh seal of the scroll, there was silence in heaven for about 30 minutes. (2) And then I saw seven angels who stand before God’s throne, and they were given seven trumpets.
(3) And another angel, who held a gold censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given a large quantity of incense to offer with the prayers of God’s holy people on the gold altar before the throne. (4) The smoke of the incense—together with the prayers of the saints—rose before God from the angel’s hand. (5) And then the angel took the censer and filled it with fire from the altar and threw it onto the earth; and there were thunder strikes, noises, lightning flashes, and an earthquake.
The First Four Trumpets of God’s Judgment
(6) Then the seven angels holding the seven trumpets prepared to blow them.
(7) When the first angel blew his trumpet, there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was thrown onto the earth. And a third of the earth, a third of the trees, and all of the green grass were burned.
(8) When the second angel blew his trumpet, something that looked like a great volcanic mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea. And a third of the sea turned to blood, (9) a third of the sea creatures died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.
(10) When the third angel blew his trumpet, a great star burning like a torch fell from the sky on a third of the rivers, and on the springs of fresh water. (11) The name of the burning star was Wormwood (which refers to the bitter substance of a plant), and a third of the fresh water became bitter. Many people died from drinking the fresh water because it was bitter.
(12) When the fourth angel blew his trumpet, a third of the sun, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars were struck, so that a third of their light turned dark, and a third of the light no longer shined during the day or night.
(13) Then, as I watched, I heard an eagle flying high in the sky and calling out in a loud voice, “Terrible woe! Terrible woe! Terrible woe to the earth’s inhabitants, because of the remaining trumpets blasts about to be blown by the three angels!”