Jesus is the Victorious Lion and the Sacrificial Lamb
(1) And then I saw in the right hand of the one sitting on the throne a scroll (made of the papyrus plant from the Nile delta in Egypt) that had writing on the frontside (inside) and backside. The scroll was closed by seven seals (the scroll was probably sealed at seven different places as it had been rolled up).
(2) Then I saw a powerful angel proclaiming with a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break its seals and open the scroll?” (3) But no one in all of creation—in heaven or on earth or under the earth—was found worthy to open the scroll or look at its writing. (4) I wept and wept because no one was found worthy to open the scroll.
(5) Then one of the 24 elders said to me, “Stop weeping! Look! The Lion of the tribe of Judah—the Root of David—was victorious (has conquered)! He is worthy to remove the seven seals and open the scroll!”
(6) And in the middle of the throne, the four living creatures, and the 24 elders, I saw a Lamb—looking like it had been slaughtered (slain)—standing with seven horns and seven eyes, which are the sevenfold Spirit of God (the Holy Spirit) sent out into all the earth.
(7) And then the Lamb went and took the scroll from the right hand of the one sitting on the throne. (8) When he took the scroll, the four living creatures and the 24 elders fell down in worship before the Lamb. Each of the 24 elders held a harp and gold bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s holy people. (9) And they sang this new song: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe, language, people, and nation. (10) You made them a kingdom and priests (a priestly kingdom) to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth!”
(11) Then I looked and heard the voice of countless angels—numbering millions or billions—along with the living creatures and the 24 elders that surrounded God’s throne. (12) They all declared with a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power, riches, wisdom, strength, honor, glory, and praise!”
(13) Then I heard every living being in creation—in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and on the sea, and everything in them—proclaiming, “To the one who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise, honor, glory, and power for ever and ever!”
(14) The four living creatures shouted, “Amen (let it be),” and the 24 elders fell down in prostration and worshiped.