The Church in Sardis
(1) “To the angel of the church of Sardis (in modern Salihli, Turkey) write the following: These are the prophetic words of the one who holds the seven spirits (sevenfold, Holy Spirit) of God and the seven stars (angels) (see Revelation 1: 4,16)!
“I know your works: you have a reputation of being alive, but in reality you are spiritually dead. (2) Wake up! Strengthen what you still have but is about to die, because I have not found your works complete in God’s sight. (3) Therefore, remember the truth that you have received and heard; obey it and repent! If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief in the night, and you will not know at what time I will come against you.
(4) “However, there are still a few faithful believers in Sardis who have not dirtied their clothes, and they will walk with me dressed in white clothes, for they are worthy. (5) Those who overcome and are victorious because of their faith will be dressed in white. I will never remove their names from the book of life, but I will acknowledge their names before my Father and his angels.
(6) “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Holy Spirit is saying to the churches.”
The Church in Philadelphia
(7) “To the angel of the church in Philadelphia (in modern Alasehir, Turkey) write the following: These are the prophetic words of the one who is holy and true—who holds the key of David (see Revelation 1:18). What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open!
(8) “I know your good works. I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have only a little power (possibly referring to social status), but you have obeyed my word and have stayed true to my name. (9) I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan—those who call themselves Jews and are not, but who are liars—to come and prostrate themselves at your feet and acknowledge that I love you. (10) Because you have kept my word to endure with patience, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world to test everyone living on the earth.
(11) “I am coming soon! Hold strong to what you have, so that no one can take away your victor’s crown (wreath). (12) Those who overcome and are victorious because of their faith I will make pillars (columns) in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. And I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God—New Jerusalem (see Revelation 21:2) coming down out of heaven from my God—and my new name.
(13) “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Holy Spirit is saying to the churches.”
The Church in Laodicea
(14) “To the angel of the church in Laodicea (in modern Denizli, Turkey) write this: These are the prophetic words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation (see Revelation 1:5-6)!
(15) “I know your works: you are neither hot nor cold, but it is my desire that you were either hot or cold. (16) So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am ready to spit you out of my mouth. (17) For you boast, ‘I am rich and have prospered (acquired wealth) and do not need anything,’ but you do not realize that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked. (18) I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so that you can become truly rich; buy from me white clothes (outer cloaks) to cover your shameful nakedness; and rub ointment on your eyes, so that you can see. (19) I correct and discipline those I love, so be zealous and repent! (20) Here I am! I stand at the door and am knocking. Whoever hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into their home and eat with them, and they with me.
(21) “Those who overcome and are victorious because of their faith, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.
(22) “Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Holy Spirit is saying to the churches.”