Satan Bound for One Thousand Years
(1) Then I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, holding the key of the bottomless pit of the dead (the abyss) and a large chain in his hand. (2) He captured the great red dragon and ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for 1,000 years. (3) He threw him into the world of the dead (the abyss), then locked and sealed it over him, so that he would not deceive the nations any longer until the 1,000 years were completed. After that he must be released for a short time.
(4) Then I saw those sitting on thrones who were given authority to judge. They were the souls of those who were beheaded (martyred) because of their witness of Jesus and the word of God. They had refused to worship the beast or his statue, and had not received the mark on their hand or forehead. They came back to life and reigned with Christ for 1,000 years. (5) The rest of the dead did not come back to life until the 1,000 years were completed—this is the first resurrection. (6) Blessed and holy are the believers who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no authority over them. They will be priests of God and of Jesus Christ, and will reign with him for 1,000 years.
(7) At the end of the 1,000 years, Satan was released from his prison. (8) He came forth to deceive the nations waiting at the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—to gather them for war. The number of the nations was as numerous as the sands of the seashore. (9) After the nations gathered from across the earth, they went and surrounded the camp of God’s holy people—which is the beloved city. And fire came down from heaven and burned them up.
(10) And the devil, who had deceived them, was thrown into the lake of fire (hell) of burning sulfur where the beast and the false prophet had also been thrown. And they will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
God’s Great White Throne of Judgment
(11) Then I saw a great white throne, and one was sitting on it from whose presence heaven and earth fled, because there was no place for them.
(12) Then I saw the dead—the least to the greatest—standing before the throne. Books were opened, then another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to their life’s works written in the books. (13) The sea released the dead in it, and death and the realm of the dead (hades) released the dead in them. Each person was judged according to how they had lived on earth. (14) Death and the realm of the dead (hades) were thrown into the lake of fire (hell)—this is the second death. (15) And anyone whose name was not written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire (hell).