The Destruction of Babylon the Great
(1) After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven. He had great authority, and the earth was illuminated by the light of his glory. (2) Then the angel declared with a mighty voice, “Fallen! Babylon the Great is fallen! She has become the dwelling place for demons—and a prison of every kind of evil spirit, unclean bird, and evil and unclean animal. (3) For all the nations became drunk on the delusional wine of her adulteries. The earth’s kings committed adultery with her, and the earth’s merchants became rich because of her addiction to luxury.”
(4) Then I heard another voice from heaven, declaring, “Come out of Babylon the Great, all my people, so that you will not share in her sins and will not receive her plagues. (5) Her sins are piled up to heaven, and God remembers her crimes. (6) Give back to her even as she has given to others, and repay her back double according to what she has done. Mix her a double portion from her own cup. (7) Give her as much torment and sorrow as the amount of glory she gave herself while she lived in abundant luxury. For In her heart she boasts, ‘I sit enthroned as a queen! I am not a widow, and I will never mourn.’ (8) Therefore in one day her plagues will overtake her: death, mourning, and famine. She will be burned up by fire because mighty is the Lord God who judges her.
(9) “The earth’s kings who committed adultery with her and enjoyed her many luxuries will weep and mourn over her. When they see the smoke of her burning, (10) they will stand far away because of the fear of her torment, and cry out, ‘Terrible! Terrible woe to you, great city Babylon! In one hour your destruction has come!’
(11) “The earth’s merchants will weep and mourn over her because no one will buy their products any longer: (12) products of gold, silver, precious stones, and pearls; fine linen, silk and purple and scarlet cloth; every kind of scented wood, all sorts of ivory objects, and all kinds of objects made from precious wood, brass, iron, and marble; (13) cinnamon, spice, incense, myrrh, frankincense, wine, olive oil, fine flour, wheat, cattle, sheep, horses, carriages, and human slaves.
(14) “The merchants will declare, ‘The fruit your hearts desire is gone from you, and all your riches and luxuries have disappeared. Never again will these things be found.’ (15) The merchants who became rich from Babylon will stand far away because they will be terrified at her torment. They will weep and mourn (16) and cry out, ‘Terrible! Terrible woe to you, great city Babylon, dressed in fine linen and purple and scarlet, and adorned with glittering gold, precious stones, and pearls! (17) For in one hour the abundant riches of Babylon was destroyed!’
“All sea captains, sailors, and dock workers will stand far away (18) and cry as they watch the smoke of burning Babylon. They will cry out, ‘There was never a city like Babylon.’ (19) They will throw dirt on their heads, and cry out with wailing and sorrow, weeping, ‘Terrible! Terrible woe to you, the great city Babylon. Ship owners became rich on the sea because of her wealth, yet in one hour she has been destroyed! (20) Rejoice over Babylon, all in heaven! Rejoice, people of God, apostles and prophets! For God has judged her with the judgment she inflicted on you.’ ”
(21) Then a powerful angel picked up a huge boulder the size of a large millstone and threw it into the sea, declaring, “In this way the great city Babylon will be violently thrown down to destruction, and she will never rise again. (22) The beautiful sound of harpists and musicians and flutists and trumpeters will never be heard in you again. Artisans from all trades will never be found in you again. The sound of the millstone will never be heard in you again. (23) The lamps of homes will never shine in you again. The voice of a bridegroom and bride will never be heard in you again. For your merchants were of the world’s elite, and by your sorcery all the nations were deceived. (24) And in her the blood of prophets and God’s holy people (martyrs) were found—all those who were slaughtered on the earth.”