The Woman, the Dragon, and the Child
(1) Then I saw a great sign appear in heaven: a woman (probably referring to the Church) clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of 12 stars on her head. (2) She was pregnant and cried out in labor pains as she was about to give birth.
(3) And then I saw another sign appear in heaven: a great red dragon (Satan) with seven heads and 10 horns and seven crowns on its heads. (4) Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and threw them to the earth. Then the dragon stood before the woman (the Church) who was about to give birth, so that it might eat her child at the moment he was born.
(5) The woman gave birth to a son (probably refers to the birth and incarnation of Jesus Christ), and, as it is written in Psalm 2:9, “He will rule all the nations with a rod of iron.” Then her son was taken up (probably refers to the resurrection and ascension of Jesus) to God’s throne in heaven. (6) The woman fled into the wilderness to a place of refuge (spiritual protection) that had been prepared by God, where she would be taken care of (spiritually nourished) for 42 months (1,260 days).
Satan Is Thrown Out of Heaven
(7) Then war broke out in heaven: The archangel Michael and his angels fought against the great red dragon (Satan), and the dragon and his angels (demons) fought back, (8) but they were not strong enough, so they lost their place in heaven. (9) And the dragon—that ancient serpent called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—was thrown down to the earth with his angels.
(10) Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, declaring, “Our God’s salvation and power and reign has come—along with the authority of his Christ—because the accuser of our fellow believers has been thrown down to the earth, the one accusing them before God day and night. (11) The earth’s believers triumphed over Satan by the blood of the Lamb and through the word of their witness; they did not love their lives and were willing to die (be martyred). (12) Therefore, rejoice you heavens, and all those living in them! But it will be a terrible woe for the earth and the sea, because the devil was thrown down to you. He is filled with angry rage because he knows that his time is short.”
(13) When the dragon (Satan) saw that he had been thrown down to the earth, he chased the woman who had given birth to a son (Jesus Christ). (14) The woman was given the two wings of a large eagle, so that she could fly away from the dragon to her place of safe refuge (spiritual protection) in the wilderness, where she would be taken care of (spiritually nourished) for three-and-a-half times.
(15) Then the dragon released water like a river out of its mouth behind the woman so that the river he made would sweep her away. (16) But the earth rescued the woman by swallowing the river that the dragon had released from its mouth. (17) Then the dragon became furious at the woman and departed to make war against the rest of her offspring—those who obey God’s commandments and hold strong to the witness of Jesus.
The great red dragon (Satan) stood on the shore of the sea.