Live in Unity With One Purpose
(1) Therefore, since there is encouragement from being united with Christ, comfort from his love, fellowship in the Holy Spirit, and kindness and compassion—(2) then make my joy complete by being of the same mind (like-minded), having the same love, and living in one spirit and with one purpose. (3) Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain pride, but in humility treat others as more important than yourselves, (4) not looking to your own interests but also to the interests of other people.
The Incarnation and Exaltation of Jesus
(5) Dear believers, in your relationships with one another have the same attitude (mindset) as Jesus Christ (6) who, although he existed in the very nature (form) of God (being fully God), did not consider his equality with God something to be usurped for his own advantage. (7) Instead, he made himself nothing (emptied himself) by taking the very nature (form) of a servant, being born in human likeness (being fully human).
(8) And being found in the very nature (form) of man, he humbled himself by being obedient to death—even death on a Roman cross! (9) Therefore, God exalted him and enthroned him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, (10) so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bend in worship, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, (11) and every mouth will confess (acknowledge) that Jesus Christ is Lord—to the majestic glory of God the Father!
Work Out Your Salvation
(12) Therefore, my dear friends loved by God, as you have always obeyed God—not only when I have been with you, but now much more since I have been away—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling in his presence, (13) because it is God who works in you, both to will and to act in order to fulfill (finish, complete) his good pleasure (purpose).
(14) Do everything without complaining or arguing, (15) so that you will become innocent and pure, children of God without guilt in a dishonest and morally perverse generation (society). Then you will shine among them like the stars in the night sky (16) as you hold strong to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day (second coming) of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. (17) But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am happy and rejoice together with all of you. (18) And you too should also be happy and rejoice with me.
Paul Sends Timothy to Philippi
(19) I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to visit you soon, so that I can be encouraged when he returns with a good report about you. (20) I have no one else like him, who will show genuine concern for your wellbeing. (21) For everyone looks out for their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. (22) But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because like a son with his father he has served with me in the ministry of the gospel (good news) of Christ. (23) Therefore, I hope to send him as soon as I see how things go for me here in Rome. (24) But I am confident in the Lord that I will also come and visit you soon.
Paul Sends Epaphroditus to Philippi
(25) But I think it is necessary to send Epaphroditus—my brother, ministry partner, and fellow soldier—back home to you in Philippi. He is your messenger, whom you sent to Rome to take care of my needs. (26) For he longs to see all of you and is troubled because you heard that he was sick. (27) Yes, he was sick, and almost died. But God had mercy on him, and also on me—sparing me from being overwhelmed with sorrow. (28) Therefore I am all the more eager to send him back to you in Philippi, so that when you see him again you will be full of joy, and I will have a lot less anxiety in my life. (29) So then, welcome him in the Lord with great happiness, and honor ministers like him, (30) because he almost died while working for Christ. As you know, he risked his life to make up for the help you could not give me.