A Strong Soldier of Jesus Christ
2 Timothy 2:1-7
(1) So Timothy, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Jesus Christ, (2) and entrust the things you heard me teach in the presence of many witnesses to faithful believers who will also be competent (qualified) to teach others as well. (3) Join with me in suffering like a good soldier of Jesus Christ. (4) No soldier employed in military service gets entangled in the civilian affairs of this world, but rather desires to please his commanding officer. (5) In the same way, an athlete competing in a sport does not receive a victor’s crown (wreath) unless he competes according to the rules. (6) Also, a hard-working farmer should be the first to eat a share of the crops. (7) Think about what I am telling you, because the Lord will give you understanding in everything.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ
2 Timothy 2:8-13
(8) Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead and a descendant of David. This is my gospel (good news) message, (9) for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal in Rome. But you can be sure that God’s word is not chained! (10) Therefore I endure everything for the good of God’s chosen people, so that they will receive the salvation and eternal glory that is in Jesus Christ.
(11) This is a faithful and true saying: If we died with Jesus, we will also live with him. (12) If we endure, we will also reign with him. If we reject him, he will also reject us. (13) If we are unfaithful, he will remain faithful to us because he cannot deny himself.
A Useful Minister of God
2 Timothy 2:14-19
(14) Keep reminding God’s people of these truths. Warn them before God against arguing about words, because arguing does no one any good and only ruins those who listen. (15) Timothy, work hard to present yourself to God as one approved, a minister who has no reason to be ashamed and who correctly teaches the word of truth. (16) Avoid godless talk, because those who speak this way only produce more and more ungodliness. (17) Their false teaching will spread like cancer. Among the false teachers are Hymenaeus and Philetus, (18) who have abandoned the truth. For they teach that the resurrection has already happened, and so they destroy the faith of some people. (19) Nevertheless, God’s solid foundation stands strong, sealed with the saying from Numbers 16:5, “The Lord knows those who are his,” and “Let everyone who confesses the Lord’s name turn away from wickedness.”
Holy and Useful to God
2 Timothy 2:20-26
(20) A large house contains items made of gold and silver and wood and clay; some things are used for special (honorable) purposes and some things are used for common (dishonorable) purposes. (21) Therefore, those who cleanse themselves from what is dishonorable will be vessels used for honorable purposes—set apart and holy, useful to the master of the house, and prepared to do any good work.
(22) Run away from the sinful passions of your youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace along with those who call on the Lord out of a clean heart. (23) Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid controversies, because you know they only produce arguments and divisions. (24) And the Lord’s servant must not enjoy getting into arguments but must be kind to everyone, able to teach the truth, and not resentful. (25) People who oppose our faith should be corrected with a kind and gentle heart, in the hope that God will give them a change of mind (repentance) leading them to a knowledge of the truth, (26) and that they will return to their right thinking and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.