2 Timothy 1:1-2
(1) From Paul, an apostle of Christ by God’s will according to the promise of life in Jesus Christ, (2) to Timothy, my beloved son in the faith. May God the Father and Jesus Christ our Lord bless you with grace, mercy, and peace!
Paul Remembers Timothy
2 Timothy 1:3-14
(3) I thank God, whom I serve with a clear conscience, as did my ancestors. Timothy, I remember you always in my prayers, day and night. (4) I often think about your tears (probably when Paul left Timothy in Ephesus; see 1 Timothy 1:3). I long to see you, so that I can be filled with joy.
(5) I remember your sincere faith—a faith that first lived in your mother Eunice and your grandmother Lois (see Acts 16:1-3) and I am convinced now lives in you. (6) Because of your faith, I encourage you to fan into flame the gift of God, which was imparted to you through the laying on of my hands. (7) For God did not give us a spirit of fear but the Holy Spirit of power, love, and self-discipline.
(8) Therefore do not be ashamed of the message about our Lord or of me his prisoner in Rome (Paul has now been rearrested after his fourth missionary journey and is once again a prisoner in Rome; see 1 Timothy 1:3), but join with me in suffering for the gospel (good news) of Christ, by the power of God (9) who saved us and called us to live a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ before the creation of the universe (times eternal), (10) but it has now been revealed through the appearing (incarnation) of our Savior Jesus Christ. He destroyed death’s power and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel message (11) for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher—(12) and this is why I am suffering as much as I am. But I am not ashamed because I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that God has the power to protect what he has entrusted to me until the day of the Lord (the second coming of Christ).
(13) Follow the pattern of the sound teaching (set of beliefs) that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Jesus Christ. (14) Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to your care through the Holy Spirit who lives in us.
Paul Praises Onesiphorus
2 Timothy 1:15-18
(15) You know that everyone in the Roman province of Asia has deserted me (probably referring to Christians from Ephesus and the Roman province of Asia who were in Rome and abandoned Paul at his trial), including Phygelus and Hermogenes. (16) May the Lord give mercy to the family of Onesiphorus (see 2 Timothy 4:19), because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my imprisonment in Rome. (17) He searched diligently for me in Rome until he found me. (18) May the Lord grant him to find mercy from the Lord on the last day! And you know in how many ways he served me in Ephesus.