The Second Coming of Jesus Christ
2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
(1) Now concerning the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him (see 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17): My brothers and sisters, (2) do not become easily shaken or disturbed by an alleged teaching from us—whether by a prophecy (spirit) or a spoken word or a letter—that claims that the day of the Lord has already come.
(3) Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, because the day of the Lord will not come until the rebellion (apostasy) happens, and the man of lawlessness (sin) is revealed, who is destined for destruction. (4) He will oppose all things and will exalt himself above every so called god or object of worship, so that he can set himself up (take his seat) in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.
(5) Don’t you remember that I used to tell you these things when I was with you in Thessalonica? (6) And now you know what is holding him back, so that he will be revealed at his proper time. (7) For the mystery (deceptive power) of lawlessness (sin) is already at work in this world, but the one (probably God) who now holds it back will continue to do so until he is taken out of the way. (8) And then, at that time, the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will destroy with the spirit of his mouth at the majestic appearance of his second coming.
(9) The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the activities of Satan. He will use all kinds of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, (10) and every kind of evil that will deceive those who are perishing. These people will perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. (11) For this is the reason God sends them a powerful delusion, so that they will believe the lie, (12) and all who have not believed the truth but have enjoyed the pleasure of wickedness will be condemned.
The Salvation of God
2 Thessalonians 2:13-17
(13) My brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, we thank God always for you because God chose you from the beginning to be saved through the purifying power of the Holy Spirit and by your faith in the truth. (14) He called you to this salvation through our gospel (good news) message, so that you will receive the majestic glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. (15) Therefore, my brothers and sisters, stand strong and hold firm to the teaching (traditions) that we gave you, whether by spoken word or by written letter.
(16) Now may our Lord Jesus Christ and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, (17) encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good thing that you do and say.