2 Peter 3:1-2
(1) My dear friends, this is the second letter that I have written to you. I have written both of them as reminders to stir you up to sincere thinking. (2) I want you to remember the predictions spoken by the holy (Old Testament) prophets, and the teaching given by our Lord and Savior through your (New Testament) apostles.
The Day of the Lord
2 Peter 3:3-13
(3) Above all, you must understand that in the last days mockers will come, ridiculing and following their sinful passions. (4) They will say, “Where is this promised ‘coming’ of Jesus Christ? For ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”
(5) But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into existence and the earth was formed out of water and by water. (6) It was by these waters that the ancient world was flooded and destroyed. (7) By the same word of God, the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of God’s final judgment and the destruction of ungodly people.
(8) But, my beloved friends, do not forget that with the Lord a day is like 1,000 years, and 1,000 years are like a day. (9) The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise to you, as some people understand slowness. Instead God is patient with you, because he does not want anyone to perish, but he desires everyone to repent!
(10) But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will disappear with a loud noise, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up by a blaze of fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be exposed.
(11) Since everything in the heavens and on earth will be destroyed in this way, what kind of life should you live? You should live holy and godly lives (12) as you look forward to the coming day of God and speed up its coming. That coming day of God will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the heavenly bodies will melt in the burning heat. (13) But in keeping with his promise, we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth that will be full of righteousness and justice.
Grow Up In Jesus Christ
2 Peter 3:14-18
(14) So then, my beloved friends, since you are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, let us make every effort to be found pure, blameless, and at peace with God. (15) Always remember that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. (16) He writes the same way in all his letters, telling us in them of these matters. Paul’s letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do other parts of the Bible. They distort the Bible to their own destruction.
(17) Therefore, my beloved friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you will not deceived by the error of lawless people and fall away from your secure position in Christ. (18) Instead, grow up in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be majestic glory both now and forever! Amen (let it be).