2 Peter 1:1-2
(1) From Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith of equal standing with ours. (2) May you receive grace and peace in abundance through the knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord!
The Qualities of Life in Jesus Christ
2 Peter 1:3-15
(3) The divine power of Jesus Christ has given us everything we need to live godly lives through our knowledge of him who called us by his glory and goodness. (4) Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you can become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the moral corruption in this world caused by sinful passions.
(5) For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; to your goodness, add knowledge; (6) to your knowledge, add self-control; to your self-control, add perseverance; to your perseverance, add godliness; (7) to your godliness, add mutual affection; and to your mutual affection, add love. (8) For if these qualities are growing in your life, then they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (9) But whoever does not have these qualities in their life is shortsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
(10) Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you practice these qualities, you will never fall, (11) and you will receive an abundant welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
(12) So I will always remind you of these qualities, even though you know them and are firmly established in this truth that you already have. (13) I think it is important for me to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this earthly body, (14) because I know that I will soon die, as our Lord Jesus Christ has revealed to me. (15) And I will make every effort to ensure that after I die you will always be able to remember these qualities of life in Christ (Peter wrote the letter of 2 Peter while imprisoned in Rome. He was martyred soon after, along with the apostle Paul, around AD 65-AD 67).
Eyewitnesses of Jesus’ Transfiguration
2 Peter 1:16-21 (Matthew 17:1-13; Mark 9:2-13; Luke 9:28-36)
(16) For we did not follow cleverly made-up stories (myths) when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majestic glory. (17) Jesus received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice spoke to him from the majestic glory of heaven saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” (18) We (apostles Peter, James, and John) heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with Jesus on the sacred mountain.
(19) We also have the message of the (Old Testament) prophets made completely reliable, and you will do well to pay close attention to it, as to a lamp shining bright in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. (20) Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of the Bible (Old Testament) came about by the prophet’s personal interpretation of things. (21) For prophecy does not originate in the human will, but prophets, although human, spoke from God as they were inspired by the Holy Spirit.