2 John 1:1-3
(1) From the Elder (the apostle John) to the chosen woman of God and to her children (probably referring to a local church in the Roman province of Asia), whom I love in the truth, as do all the believers who know the truth. (2) The truth remains in us and will be with us forever. (3) Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, will be with us in all truth and love!
Love One Another
2 John 1:4-6
(4) I have great joy to know that some of your children are walking in the truth, just as the Father taught us to do. (5) And now, dear woman, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I call upon us all to love each other! (6) And this is love: that we live in obedience to God’s truth. As you have been taught from the beginning, God’s command is that you live in love!
Watch Out for False Teachers
2 John 1:7-11
(7) I tell you this because many deceivers—who deny that Jesus Christ came in the flesh (became fully human)—have gone out into the world (possibly from Ephesus). Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist (see 1 John 2:22-23, 4:1-3). (8) Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked so hard for, but that you will be rewarded in full.
(9) Whoever runs ahead and does not continue to follow the teaching of Christ does not have God, but whoever continues to follow the teaching has both the Father and the Son. (10) If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching of Christ, do not let them stay in your house or welcome them. (11) For whoever welcomes them partners with them in their wicked work.
2 John 1:12-13
(12) I have much more to tell you, but I do not want to write these things to you. Instead, I hope to visit you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy will be full. (13) The children of your sister (probably the church in Ephesus), chosen by God, send you their greetings.