1 Timothy 6:1-2
(1) All believers who are under the burden of slavery should give their masters full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching will not be spoken against. (2) Christian bondservants who have believing masters should not disrespect them, because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even more because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the well-being of their bondservants.
False Teaching and Contentment in God
1 Timothy 6:3-10
Timothy, these are the things you are to teach and insist on. (3) Those who spread false teaching and do not believe in the sound teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ and the godliness that comes from our teaching, (4) they are full of pride and have no understanding. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and a desire to argue about words that only lead to jealousy, division, evil talk, wrong suspicions about others, (5) and constant conflict between those who have corrupt minds. They have been robbed of the truth and think that godliness is a way to make money (a means to financial gain).
(6) But godliness with contentment produces great gain, (7) because we brought nothing into this world, and we will not take anything out of it. (8) Believers should be content (satisfied) with the food and clothing they have.
(9) People who live their lives to get rich fall into a dangerous trap of temptation and into many foolish and harmful desires that cause them to sink into ruin and destruction. (10) For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people who zealously pursue money have left the faith and stabbed themselves with many pains.
Instructions to Timothy
1 Timothy 6:11-16
(11) But you Timothy, a devoted man of God, run away from all this and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. (12) Fight the good fight of the faith and take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you confessed Christ in the presence of many witnesses.
(13) Timothy, I charge you in the sight of God who gives life to everything, and of Jesus Christ, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession—(14) keep this command faithfully and without error until the appearing (second coming) of our Lord Jesus Christ, (15) which God will bring about in his own time.
God is the only blessed Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, (16) who alone is everlasting and who lives in unapproachable light; no one has seen or can see him. To him be honor and power forever! Amen (let it be).
Instructions for the Rich
1 Timothy 6:17-19
(17) Instruct the rich in this world (age) not to be full of pride nor to put their hope in the uncertainty of earthly wealth. Tell them to put their hope in God because he fully provides all we need to enjoy our lives. (18) Instruct them to become rich in doing good works and to share generously with others. (19) By giving to others they will store up treasure for themselves as a strong foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
1 Timothy 6:20-21
(20) Timothy, protect what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless talk and the opposing teaching of what is falsely called “knowledge,” (21) which some have believed and in so doing have abandoned the faith. Grace be with you all!