The Teaching of Demons
1 Timothy 4:1-5
(1) The Holy Spirit clearly tells us that in later times some people will abandon (apostate) their faith in Jesus Christ and will follow deceiving spirits, believing in the teachings of demons. (2) These demonically-inspired teachings come through the lies of hypocrites whose consciences have been burned up (branded) as with a hot iron. (3) They forbid people to marry and command them to stop eating certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.
(4) For everything God created is good, and nothing should be refused if it is received with thanksgiving, (5) because it is set apart as holy by God’s word and prayer.
The Spiritual Training of Godliness
1 Timothy 4:6-10
(6) Timothy, if you teach what I am telling you to all the believers in Ephesus, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ—trained in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you follow.
(7) Have nothing to do with godless stories and mythical tales; rather, train yourself to live a godly life. (8) Yes, physical exercise has some benefit, but the spiritual training of godliness benefits you in all areas of life—holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. (9) This is a true saying that should be fully accepted. (10) For that is why we work so hard and struggle, because we have placed all our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.
Be a Christian Example
1 Timothy 4:11-16
(11) Timothy, I want you to command and teach these things to all the believers in Ephesus. (12) Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young in age, but set an example that all the believers can follow—in your speech, in your behavior, in love, in faith, and in moral purity.
(13) Until I return to Ephesus, dedicate your ministry to the public reading of the Bible, to exhortation (preaching), and to the teaching of God’s word. (14) Do not neglect the gift of the Holy Spirit that you received through a prophetic message when the body of elders (presbytery) laid their hands on you. (15) Work hard in all the things I am telling you and give yourself completely to them, so that everyone will see your growth and progress. (16) Keep a close watch over your life and teaching. Keep working hard in them, because if you do you will save not only yourself but also those who hear you.