The Second Coming of Jesus Christ
1 Thessalonians 5:1-11
(1) Now, my brothers and sisters, we do not need to write to you about specific times and dates (seasons) of Christ’s second coming, (2) because you know that the day of the Lord will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night. (3) While people are saying, “There is peace and safety,” then sudden destruction will come on them, as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape!
(4) But you, my brothers and sisters, do not live in darkness so that the day of the second coming of Christ will surprise you like a thief. (5) For you are all children of the light and of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. (6) So then, let us not be like those who sleep, but let us be awake and clear-minded. (7) For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. (8) But since we belong to the light of day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a chest armor, and the confident hope of salvation as a helmet. (9) For God did not appoint us to suffer his wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. (10) He died for us so that, whether we are alive or dead, we will live together with him. (11) Therefore encourage one another, and build each other up, just as you are doing.
Instructions on Christian Living
1 Thessalonians 5:12-22
(12) Now, my brothers and sisters, we call upon you to honor those who work hard among you—those who watch over (oversee) you in the Lord, and who guide you on how to live. (13) Esteem them highly in love because of their labor for God. Live in peace with one another.
(14) And, my brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy and disruptive, encourage the discouraged in heart, help the weak, and be patient with everyone. (15) Make sure that no one repays wrong for wrong, but always make a great effort to do good to each other and to all people.
(16) Rejoice always, (17) pray without ceasing, (18) and give thanks in all circumstances of life, because this is God’s will for you in Jesus Christ. (19) Do not put out the fire of the Holy Spirit. (20) Do not despise prophecies (21) but test and examine them; hold tight to what is good, (22) and reject every kind of evil.
1 Thessalonians 5:23-28
(23) Now may the God of peace cleanse you through and through, and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (24) The God who calls you is faithful, and he will surely do it.
(25) My brothers and sisters, pray for us. (26) Greet all of God’s people with a holy kiss (on the cheeks). (27) I charge you before the Lord to read this letter aloud to all the followers of Jesus in Thessalonica. (28) The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!