Overcome the World by Faith
1 John 5:1-5
(1) Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Messiah (Christ) has been born (born again) of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. (2) This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and living according to his teaching. (3) This is love for God, to obey his teaching. And his teaching is not burdensome, (4) because whoever is born (born again) of God overcomes the world. And the victory that has overcome the world is our faith! (5) It is those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God that overcome the world.
Eternal Life in Jesus Christ
1 John 5:6-12
(6) Jesus Christ came by water and blood; he did not come by water only, but by water (baptism) and blood (crucifixion). And the Holy Spirit is our witness, because the Spirit is the truth. (7) For there are three that testify: (8) the Holy Spirit, the water, and the blood, and these three are in full agreement. (9) We accept human testimony, but God’s testimony is far greater because it is his testimony given about his Son. (10) Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they do not believe God’s witness given about his Son. (11) And this is the truth: God gave us eternal life and this life is in his Son. (12) Whoever has the Son has eternal life, but those who do not have the Son of God do not have eternal life.
1 John 5:13-21
(13) I, John, write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you will know with certainty that you have eternal life. (14) This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we pray anything according to his will, he hears us. (15) And if we know that God hears our prayers—whatever we ask—we know that we have whatever we asked of him.
(16) If you see another believer commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I am not saying that we should pray for those who commit a sin that leads to death, because there is a sin that leads to death (possibly a total intentional and hostile rejection of Jesus Christ). (17) All wrongdoing is sin, but not all sin leads to death.
(18) We know that whoever is born (born again) of God does not keep on living a life of sin; the one who was born of God protects them, and Satan, the evil one, cannot hurt them. (19) We know that we are God’s children, and that the whole world is under the power of the evil one. (20) We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we can know the true God. And we are in the true God by being in his Son Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the true God and eternal life. (21) My beloved children, keep yourselves away from idols.