We Are God’s Children
1 John 3:1-10
(1) See what great love the Father has poured out to us, that we should be called children of God! And that is who we are! The reason why this world does not know us is because it did not know him. (2) My beloved friends, now we are God’s children, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. But we know that when Christ appears at his second coming, we will be like him, because we will see him as he truly is. (3) Whoever has this hope in him purifies themselves, just as Jesus is pure.
(4) Whoever lives a life of sin breaks the law, because sin is lawlessness. (5) But you know that Jesus came into the world to take away our sins. And he was sinless. (6) No one who lives in him keeps living a life of sin. No one who continues to live a life of sin has seen him or known him.
(7) My beloved children, do not let anyone deceive you and lead you astray. Whoever does what is right is righteous, just as Jesus is righteous. (8) Whoever lives a life of sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God came into the world was to destroy the devil’s works. (9) No one who is born of God will continue to live a life of sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot live a life of sin, because they have been born (born again) of God. (10) This is how we know who are the children of God and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not do what is right and does not love their fellow believers is not God’s child.
Love One Another
1 John 3:11-24
(11) For this is the gospel (good news) message that you have heard from the beginning: we must love one another! (12) We must not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother Abel. And why did he murder him? Cain murdered Abel because his actions were evil and Abel’s actions were righteous. (13) Therefore, my brothers and sisters, don’t be surprised that this world hates you. (14) We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love one another. Whoever does not love remains in death. (15) Whoever hates a fellow believer is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life living in them.
(16) This is how we know what true love is: Jesus Christ laid down (sacrificed) his life for us, and we should sacrifice our lives for our fellow believers. (17) If anyone has material possessions and sees a fellow believer in need but has no compassion (closes his heart) for them, how can God’s love live in that person? (18) My beloved children, let us not love with words or talk but with actions and in truth.
(19) This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in God’s presence. (20) For if our hearts condemn us of sin, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything (is omniscient)!
(21) My beloved friends, if our hearts do not condemn us of sin, we have confidence in the presence of God, (22) and receive from him whatever we ask, because we live according to his teaching and do what pleases him. (23) Now this is God’s command, that we believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another as he taught us. (24) Whoever keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he lives in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: we know it by the Holy Spirit that he gave us.