Jesus Christ Is Our Righteousness
1 John 2:1-6
(1) My beloved children, I write these things to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an intercessor (advocate) with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. (2) Christ is the atoning sacrifice (propitiation, expiation, substitute) for our sins, and not only for our sins but also for the sins of the whole world.
(3) And we know that we have come to know God if we obey his teaching. (4) Whoever says, “I know God,” but does not live according to his teaching is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. (5) But if anyone obeys his word, then God’s love is truly made complete in them. This is how we know that we live in God: (6) whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.
Live in God’s Light of Love
1 John 2:7-14
(7) My beloved friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had from the beginning. This old command is the message you have already heard. (8) But I am also writing you a new command, which is the truth seen in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining.
(9) Whoever claims to live in the light but hates a fellow believer is still living in darkness. (10) Whoever loves a fellow believer lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble. (11) But whoever hates a fellow believer is in the darkness and stumbles around in the darkness, for they do not know where they are going because the darkness has blinded their eyes.
(12) I write to you, children, because your sins have been forgiven for the sake of the name of Jesus Christ. (13) I write to you, fathers, because you know Jesus who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, children, because you know the Father. (14) I write to you, fathers, because you know Jesus who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome Satan, the evil one.
Do Not Love This World
1 John 2:15-17
(15) Do not love this world or anything in this world. Whoever loves this world, the love of the Father is not in them. (16) For everything in this world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—does not come from the Father but is from this world. (17) This world and its sinful passions are passing away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.
Many Antichrists Have Already Come
1 John 2:18-29
(18) My beloved children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard the antichrist is coming—actually even now many antichrists have already come. We know it is the last hour (19) because these antichrists have gone out from the church in Ephesus, although they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but because they departed from us, it reveals that none of them really belonged to us (referring to the antichrists and false prophets described in 1 John 2:22-23, 4:1-3; 2 John 7).
(20) But you have an anointing from the Holy One and know the truth. (21) I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth.
(22) Who is the true liar? The true liar is whoever denies that Jesus is the Messiah (Christ). It is these liars that are the antichrists—those who deny the Father and the Son. (23) No one who denies the Son has the Father, but whoever confesses faith in the Son has the Father. (24) As for you, make sure that what you have heard from the beginning lives in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. (25) And God has promised us eternal life!
(26) I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you with false teaching and lead you astray. (27) But as for you, the Holy Spirit’s anointing that you received from God lives in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as God’s anointing teaches you about all things, this anointing is true and is no lie (counterfeit)—and just as the anointing has taught you, remain in him.
(28) And now, my beloved children, remain in Jesus, so that when he appears at his second coming we will be confident and unashamed (not shrink away) when we see him. (29) If you know that Jesus is righteous, you also know that everyone who does what is right (practices righteousness) has been born of him.