Civil Legal Disputes Between Believers
1 Corinthians 6:1-11
(1) If a believer has a civil legal dispute with another believer, why do you take your dispute before unbelievers for judgment (in the public forum of the Roman civil magistrates/judges) instead of before the Lord’s people (the church)? (2) Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge the simplest civil disputes among you? (3) Don’t you know that God’s people will judge angels? So how much more should we be able to judge the smallest things of this life! (4) Therefore, if civil legal disputes arise among you, why do you ask for a ruling from those whose way of life is scorned in the church? (5) I say this to your shame. Is it possible that there is nobody in the church wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? (6) But instead, one believer takes another one before the legal court of unbelievers.
(7) The very fact that you have civil lawsuits among you means you have been totally defeated already. Why not rather be willing to be wronged? Why not be cheated? (8) Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong to each other, and you do this to your brothers and sisters.
(9) Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not enter (inherit) the kingdom of God? Don’t be deceived: neither the sexually perverted, nor idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexual offenders, (10) thieves, the greedy, drunkards, slanderers, and robbers will enter the kingdom of God. (11) And that is what some of you were. But you were washed clean and made holy and righteous in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Holy Spirit of our God.
Our Bodies Are for the Lord
1 Corinthians 6:12-20
(12) Some of you in Corinth say, “All things are lawful for me,” but you know not all things are helpful (beneficial). Some say, “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be controlled by anything. (13) Some say, “Food is for the stomach and the stomach is for food, and God will destroy them both.”
However, the body was not created for sexual perversion but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. (14) God’s power raised the Lord’s body from the dead, and he will also resurrect our bodies. (15) Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Should I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Absolutely not! (16) Do you not know that those who have sex with a prostitute become one with her in body? For as it is written in Genesis 2:24, “The two will become one body (flesh).” (17) But whoever is united with the Lord becomes one with him in the Holy Spirit (spirit).
(18) Run away from sexual perversion. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. (19) Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who lives within you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own, (20) because you were bought with a price. Therefore magnify God with your bodies!