The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
1 Corinthians 12:1-11
(1) Now, my brothers and sisters, let me address the topic of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I do not want you to be without knowledge. (2) You know that when you were religious pagans, you were influenced and led astray in various ways to worship dead (speechless) idols. (3) Therefore I want you to know that no one speaking by the Spirit of God can say, “Jesus be cursed (is a curse),” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
(4) There are various (different) kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Holy Spirit distributes them. (5) There are various kinds of ministry (service), but the same Lord Jesus. (6) There are various kinds of powers (working), but in all of them it is the same God at work.
(7) Now to each person the manifestation of the Holy Spirit is given by God for the overall good of the church. (8) To one believer there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by the same Spirit, (9) to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the same Spirit, (10) to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another the ability to speak in various spiritual languages (tongues), and to another the interpretation of tongues (the ability to put spiritual languages into words so that others can understand).
(11) All of these spiritual gifts are given by the one and same Spirit, and he distributes them to each believer just as he determines to be best.
The Unity of the Church
1 Corinthians 12:12-13
(12) Just as a physical body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body—so it is with Christ. (13) For we were all baptized by the one Holy Spirit so as to form one church body—including Jews, non-Jews, slaves, and free—and we were all given the same Holy Spirit to drink!
The Diversity in the Church
1 Corinthians 12:14-26
(14) Although there is only one church body, it is not made up of just one part but of many diverse members. (15) Now, for example, if a foot should say, “Because I’m not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not stop them from being a part of the body. (16) And if an ear says, “Because I’m not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not stop them from being a part of the body. (17) If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing come from? If the whole body were an ear, where would the ability to smell come from? (18) But God has placed (arranged) each member of the body just as he wanted them to be. (19) If the body was made up of only one member, where would the body be? (20) Now, as it is, there are many members, but only one church body. (21) The eye can’t say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” (22) On the contrary, the members of the church body that seem to be weaker are still very important (indispensable), (23) and the members that we think are less honorable should be given special honor. And the less elegant (sophisticated) members of the church should be given more dignity, (24) while the more honorable (publicly-recognized) members of the church need no special treatment (attention). But God put the body together, giving greater honor to the members that lacked it—(25) so that there will be no division in the church body, and so all members would have equal care for one another. (26) For if one member in the church body suffers, the whole body suffers with it, and if one member in the church body is honored, the whole body rejoices with it.
Church Ministries and Spiritual Gifts
1 Corinthians 12:27-31
(27) Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a member of it. (28) And God has placed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then spiritual gifts of miracles and healing, services of helping others, the ability to provide wise guidance, and speaking in various spiritual languages (tongues). (29) Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? (30) Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in spiritual languages (tongues)? Do all make spiritual languages understandable (interpretation of tongues)? Absolutely not!
(31) Now zealously desire the greater gifts. However, now I will show you the most excellent way of practicing the gifts of the Holy Spirit.