Christian Children and Fathers
(1) Children, obey the godly guidance of your parents in the Lord, because this is the right thing to do. (2) As the first commandment with a promise says in Deuteronomy 5:16, “Honor your father and mother (3) so that it will go well with you, and that you will enjoy a long life on the earth.”
(4) Fathers should not cause their children to become bitter and live in anger, but raise them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
Christian Bondservants and Masters
(5) Bondservants, obey (serve) your earthly masters with respect, fear, and a sincere heart, just as you would obey Christ. (6) Do not serve your masters only when they are watching, to get their approval, but as bondservants of Christ, doing God’s will from your heart. (7) Serve with your whole heart as if you were serving the Lord, not people, (8) because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for the good they have done, whether they are slave or free.
(9) And masters should treat their bondservants in the same way. Do not threaten them, because you know that he who is both their master and yours is in heaven—and there is no favoritism in God.
The Whole Armor of God
(10) Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. (11) Put on the whole armor of God, so that you can stand strong against the schemes (plans) that the devil has against you. (12) For our fight (struggle) in this life is not against flesh and blood (other people), but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world, and against the evil spiritual forces in the heavenly places.
(13) Therefore, put on the whole armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes you will be able to to stand your ground, and after you have done all you can do, continue to stand! (14) Stand strong then, with the belt of truth wrapped around your waist, with the chest plate of righteousness in place, (15) and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel (good news) of peace. (16) In addition to all of this, take up the shield of faith so that you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of Satan, the evil one. (17) Put on your helmet of salvation and take up the sword of the Holy Spirit—which is the word of God.
(18) And pray in the Holy Spirit at all times, with all kinds of prayers and requests. With all this in mind, stay alert (watchful) and always keep praying for all of the Lord’s people.(19) Pray also for me, that whenever I speak words will be given to me so that I will boldly make known the mystery (deep truth) of the gospel message, (20) for which I am a chained ambassador in a Roman prison. Pray that I will proclaim the gospel (good news) without fear, as I should.
(21) Tychicus, the dear brother and faithful minister (servant) in the Lord, will tell you everything, so that you also will know how I am and what I am doing. (22) I am sending him to you for this purpose, so that you will know how we are, and that he can encourage (strengthen) your hearts.
(23) My brothers and sisters, peace to you and love with faith from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (24) Grace to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with an everlasting love!