The Deep Truth of Jesus Christ Revealed
(1) For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ on behalf of you non-Jews—(2) assuming that you have heard about the stewardship (administration) of God’s grace that was given to me for you, (3) that is, the mystery (deep truth) made known to me by revelation, as I have written briefly about before.
(4) Therefore, in reading this letter you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, (5) which was not revealed to people in other generations (in the Old Testament), but has now been revealed by the Holy Spirit to the (New Testament) apostles and prophets. (6) This revealed mystery is that through the gospel (good news) the nations are now fellow heirs with Israel, members together of one body, and partakers together in the promise in Jesus Christ.
God’s Eternal Purpose in Jesus Christ
(7) I became a minister (servant) of the gospel (good news) of Jesus Christ by the free gift of God’s grace that was given to me through the active energy of his power. (8) Although I am the very least important among the Lord’s people, I was given God’s grace to proclaim to the nations the abundant treasures of Christ, (9) and to reveal to everyone the stewardship (administration) of this mystery, which for ages has been kept hidden (concealed) in God, who created all things.
(10) God’s redemptive plan is that through the church the manifold (multi-sided) wisdom of God should now be revealed to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. (11) This was according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in our Lord Jesus Christ. (12) In him and through faith in him we can now approach God with freedom and boldness. (13) Therefore, I ask you not to become discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory!
Prayer for the Ephesian Church
(14) For this reason I kneel before God the Father, (15) from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named. (16) I pray that out of his glorious treasures he will make you strong in your inner being through the power of the Holy Spirit, (17) so that Christ will live in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you—being deeply rooted and established in love—(18) will have power, together with all of the Lord’s holy people, to understand how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, (19) and to know this love that is far beyond our finite knowledge—so that you will be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Praise to God
(20) Now to God who is able to do abundantly more than all we ask or can imagine, according to his power that is active within us, (21) to him be majestic glory in the church and in Jesus Christ throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen (let it be).