(1) From Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to God’s holy and faithful followers of Jesus Christ in Ephesus (probably a circular letter to the churches in the Roman province of Asia). (2) May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ bless you with grace and peace!
Every Spiritual Blessing in Jesus Christ
(3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! He has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places. (4) For God chose us in Christ before the creation of the universe so that we would live holy and moral lives in his sight. In love (5) God chose us to be adopted into his family through Jesus Christ by the good pleasure of his will—(6) to the praise of his glorious grace that he has freely given us in Christ, the one whom he loves. (7) In him we have received redemption and the forgiveness of our sins through his blood. This is in accordance with the fullness of God’s grace (8) that he poured on us. With all wisdom and understanding, (9) God made known to us the mystery (deep truth) of his will, according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, (10) to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment (completion, consummation)—to unite (reconcile) all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.
(11) In Christ we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the eternal plan of God who works out everything to happen in agreement with the redemptive purpose (plan) of his will, (12) so that we who were the first to put our hope in Christ would live to the praise of his glorious beauty. (13) And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth—the gospel (good news) of your salvation. When you believed in Christ, you were secured (sealed) in him by the promised Holy Spirit, (14) who is the deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the final redemption of those who are God’s special possession—to the praise of his glorious beauty!
Thanksgiving and Prayer
(15) For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all of God’s people, (16) I have not stopped giving thanks for you and remembering you in my prayers. (17) I keep praying that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ—the Father of glorious beauty—will give you the Holy Spirit’s wisdom and revelation so that you will grow in your knowledge of him. (18) I pray that the eyes of your heart will see God’s light (be enlightened) so that you will know the hope to which he has called you—the treasures of his glorious inheritance in God’s holy people—(19) and experience his immeasurable great strength toward us who believe, according to the working of his almighty power.
The Exaltation of Jesus Christ
(20) God demonstrated his almighty power when he raised Christ from the dead and enthroned him at his right hand of authority in the heavenly places—(21) far above all rule, authority, power, and dominion, and above every name that can be called upon not only in this present age, but also in the age to come. (22) And God has put all things under the feet of Jesus and appointed him as the supreme head over all things for the church, (23) which is his body—the fullness of Christ who fills everything in every way.