Our Lives Are Hidden in Jesus Christ
(1) Therefore, since you have been raised up with Christ, pursue with all your hearts the things above, where Christ is enthroned in authority at the right hand of God. (2) Focus your mind on things above, not on the things of this world. (3) For you have died, and your life is now hidden (concealed, protected) with Christ in God. (4) When Christ—who is our life—appears at his second coming, then you also will appear with him in majestic glory.
The New Creation in Jesus Christ
(5) Therefore, put to death everything that belongs to your earthly nature: sexual perversion, impurity (uncleanness), lustful passions, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry. (6) Because of these, God’s holy wrath is coming. (7) In the past you once lived this way, (8) but now you must cleanse yourselves of all these ways: anger, rage, hateful feelings, slander (blasphemy), and filthy (obscene) speech. (9) Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self (sinful nature, flesh) with its practices (10) and have put on your new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of our Creator. (11) In the new creation there is no Jew or non-Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all and is in all!
Do Everything in the Name of Jesus Christ
(12) Therefore, you are God’s chosen people, holy and loved by him, so clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. (13) Bear with one another and forgive each other if any of you has a complaint against someone. Forgive each other just as the Lord has forgiven you! (14) And above all these virtues show God’s love to each other, because love holds them all together in perfect unity.
(15) Let the peace of Christ rule in (control) your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful! (16) Let the message of Christ dwell among you in its fullness as you teach and warn one with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Holy Spirit, singing to God with thanksgiving in your hearts. (17) And whatever you do in your life— whether in word or deed—do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
The Christian Family
(18) Wives, submit yourselves (show respect) to your husbands, because this is pleasing to the Lord. (19) Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. (20) Children, obey (follow the godly instructions of) your parents in everything, because this pleases the Lord. (21) Fathers, never cause your children to become resentful (embittered), or they will become brokenhearted (discouraged).
(22) Bondservants, obey your earthly masters in everything, and do this not only when they are watching you, to win their favor, but with a sincere heart and fear of the Lord. (23) In all that you do, work with your whole heart as working for the Lord, not for human masters. (24) For you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as your reward. You are a servant of Christ! (25) God will repay everyone who does wrong; he shows no favoritism.